Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:25:02 +0100

>my definition of this "application logic" is not restricted to the client
>application screens, or the database contraints, triggers, sprocs, etc.
My
>definition would have to include the concept of "organisational
>intelligence" and if the organisation were busines oriented,
> then this would be called the "business intelligence" or "business
rules".

Humm, so your "organisational intelligence" = "business rules" if we are talking about "business oriented organisations"

So why exclude NGOs etc?
But more to the point "business rules" = Database Constraints as far as I'm (and, oh him again: CJ Date) are concerned.

If you disagree, give me an example of piece of "organisational intelligence" that you don't think can be expressed as relation values or as database constraints.

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence (not a term I have a great love for), IBM Global Services Received on Thu Aug 29 2002 - 18:25:02 CEST

Original text of this message