Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Jan.Hidders <hidders_at_hcoss.uia.ac.be>
Date: 29 Aug 2002 11:14:40 +0200

In article <p7ib9.17835$g9.55546_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, mountain man <prfbrown_at_magna.com.au> wrote:

>"Nathan Allan" <member_at_dbfoums.com> wrote in message

>> >Centralised where?
>>
>> In the catalog of the RDBMS.
>
>You mean that some form of information index concerning the application
>logic resident elsewhere (in the applications software environment on the
>desktop or application server) is kept in the catalog?
>
>The logic is still "out there" in the Apps, is it not, at this moment in
>history?

That depends on what you defined as "the application logic". Some would say it is the set of static and dynamic constraints that should hold for the data in the database. Others would say that it also includes that what happens when to what part of the data given certain new information and user actions (think of triggers here). An even wider definition could include what the application does and shows (windoes, menus, buttons, et cetera) to the user. I have the feeling this latter definition is what you use, but Nathan is probably using it in the first and narrowest meaning since that is how it is mostly used in a database context.

  • Jan Hidders