Re: Database Schema Question

From: mountain man <prfbrown_at_magna.com.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:56:08 +1000

"Sébastien Boutté" <boutte_at_wfinance.fr> wrote in message news:3d6c8de5$0$27142$afc38c87_at_news.easynet.fr...
> Hi,
>
> We are developing a 3 tiers architecture (GUI Java/Swing - J2EE WebLogic -
> IBM As/400)
> and we have some questions about design of database.
>
> 1. Do we have to implement a physical delete for our system or keep
> everything ?

Both. Delete from current production
databases but archive elsewhere.

> 2. In case we implement a logical delete from GUI point of view, can we do
> that by adding a flag field on tables ?
> (We will have problems with unique constraints in this case.)

YES. Sample column name "ALIVE".
Value 1 is alive, value 0 is not alive.
No other values permitted.

The GUI examines only "alive=1" matters. etc

> For these two questions, we would like to know what's done in reality for
> some big projects about "delete" implementation.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sebastien Boutte

Step 1): Archival old data to some cheap (or appropriate) media. Step 2): Purge old data from the current production database.

Farmer Brown

WINLUCK PTY LTD
Information Technology Managers & Engineers PO Box 194, Newport Beach
NSW 2106 Australia
http://www.mountainman.com.au/software/SQLServer/ Received on Wed Aug 28 2002 - 13:56:08 CEST

Original text of this message