Using multiple group functions in a single query

From: Mia <mmiaa_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 19:57:52 GMT

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to get a report showing the max() of a sum(). Here's a simplified case:

The following table contains the populations of each county of each state:
create table county (cname char(32), state char(2), population number);

The following table contains the governor name of each state: create table governor (gname char(32), state char(2));

I want a query that reports the state, governor, and total population of the single most populated state. The following query gives me the population and governor of each state:

select c.state, g.gname, sum(c.population) from county c, governor g group by c.state, g.gname;

and I can certainly order the output, but how can I get only the highest result? What I think I need is a max() function somehow wrapping this, but I can't figure out to do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Mia Received on Mon Aug 26 2002 - 21:57:52 CEST

Original text of this message