Re: I need to use database now, but I've no idea of database and programming

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:06:10 +0100

In message <3d65a7a0$1_at_shknews01>, mfhboy <mfhboy_at_hotmail.com> writes
>I need to use database now, but I've no idea about database and programming,
>I plan to use free development tools like PHP&MySQL later but at this
>moment, I can only relay on M$ Access. I have 3 questions:
>
>1: If I want to modify my former database construction. Can I do it easily
>under Access and export it to other database system like MySql?

There are two parts to most database systems, the data and the programs that you use to enter and retrieve data. Access is unusual because it puts both of them into one file.

If you use Access now you will be able to export the data to almost any other database system. You should easily be able to export data from Access to MySQL.

You will not be able to re-use the program code because Access BASIC and PHP are completely different languages.

--
Bernard Peek
bap_at_shrdlu.com

In search of cognoscenti