Re: theoretical question on the RDBMS

From: Paul <pbrazier_at_cosmos-uk.co.uk>
Date: 14 Aug 2002 01:27:18 -0700

"Alan" <alanshein_at_erols.com> wrote in message news:<ajb18p$19emf7$1_at_ID-114862.news.dfncis.de>...
> Access is a desktop application that supplies tools and a data structure
> with which one can place and retrieve data. Because the tools and data are
> both in the same layer (the .mdb file), it violates one of the most basic
> principles of an RDBMS- independence of data and programs. It also supports
> ODBC connectivity to RDBMSes.

I thought relational theory just required that data and programs be independent at the logical level? So that physical details such as whether it is all stored in a single .mdb file are irrelevant. Access has a database engine (JET?) which can be used independently of the rest of the Access tools I think.

Of course, relational purists will argue that SQL isn't even relational and thus any DBMS that uses SQL can't be relational...

Paul. Received on Wed Aug 14 2002 - 10:27:18 CEST

Original text of this message