Re: theoretical question on the RDBMS

From: Lauri Pietarinen <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: 14 Aug 2002 00:43:23 -0700

> It is indeed, but we now have two machines and
> an investment in two places. We have an investment
> in the RDBMS and an investment in the product X
> which requires the application server.
>
> Things may be transparent such that all anyone deals
> with are the database constraints, but it is a cludge.
> It is still not theoretically at optimum.

Well, the approach taken by Alphora Dataphor is more integrated. It implements the ideas and concepts introduced by Date and Darwen in "The Third Manifesto", so it is a "true" RDBMS, at least in the sense meant by D&D.

At the moment it provides only the logical level, meaning that to actually store the data somewhere you need a standard SQL-database (such as SQL-server, Oracle or DB2). But I think they are adding their own storage mechanisms soon to the product.

Any way, the "relational" layer is not even supposed to be concerned by how the data is actually stored in memory or disk. But of course you need that layer also.

You could argue that you need a component for the user interface anyway, so you need two components (but not necessarily two machines!) anyway. Versata handles both rules and user interface.

I am not advocating this as the perfect solution for you or any body else. I just think that it is an approach that is a) promising and b) has not got the attention it deserves.

I am personally looking at the issue with a timespan of 5-10 years.

> > I think database people need to think beyond the idea that
> > a (relational) database is just a place where you put your stuff - it
> > has the potential of being _much_ more.
>
> You are correct in what you say in my opinion.
>
> I want to be able to take Product X off the application
> server and place it inside the RDBMS so that I deal
> with my orgainsational intelligence and my data in
> the one environment. ie: within the RDBMS.

I think Versata is a pretty integrated approach. You can really forget about the underlying SQL-database (of course you have to have it and administer it). The same with Dataphor.

Best wishes,

Lauri Pietarinen Received on Wed Aug 14 2002 - 09:43:23 CEST

Original text of this message