Re: Free SQL DBMSs: a survey as of August 2002

From: Heikki Tuuri <Heikki.Tuuri_at_innodb.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 00:09:15 GMT

Paul,

"Paulie" <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie> wrote in message news:3d552a9f.161415232_at_127.0.0.1...

> This is true of MySQL and SAP DB. (However, SAP DB only insists on
> payment if you use it with SAP's ERM/CRM system - otherwise it's
> completely free). With MySQL you have to pay for any commercial usage.

to be precise, with MySQL/InnoDB you have to pay for any embedded usage which is not covered by the GPL. It means that if the application you distribute is not open source, or is not free, then you have to buy a commercial non-GPL license of MySQL/InnoDB.

> > MySQL (http://www.mysql.com/) Popular and powerful. Often accused of
> > missing standard features but they're building fast, I'd expect the
> > main objections to disappear when version 4.1 is stable.
>

> AFAIK, you have to pay for transaction support and referential
> integrity support, even if your app is non-free.

No, the InnoDB backend which provides transactions and foreign keys is released under the exact same license as MySQL. ...
> Paul...
>

> > Peter Gulutzan
> --
>
> plinehan__AT__yahoo__DOT__com
Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy

---
InnoDB - transactions, row level locking, and foreign key support for MySQL
See http://www.innodb.com, download MySQL-Max from http://www.mysql.com