Re: Multiple user row-level permissions

From: Yip <yip_at_lanarchy.com>
Date: 7 Aug 2002 07:17:30 -0700

"John Van C" <jvanc_at_pandora.be> wrote in message news:<8IS39.51396$8o4.6886_at_afrodite.telenet-ops.be>...
> "Yip" <yip_at_lanarchy.com> schreef in bericht
> >
> > Basically, I'm trying to come up with a method of having row-level
> > permissions in a table for more than one user. The potential exists
> > for several hundred people to be able to access a particular row. In
> > addition, users may be added or removed dynamically, which would force
> > the corresponding rows to be updated.
>
> make 3 tables:
> users, basic table, 'has access to'
> 'has access to': userid, recordid
> Is there a way to create usergroups?

User groups will exist, with the users being able to belong to one, many, or none of them. They'd be not much different from standard users, except they'd require an additional lookup reference to find out who the members are (sort of like the scheme you've described above).

I guess I'm just trying to make the solution more complex than it needs to be.:) I have some concerns about what the performance may be like, but the only operations I can think of that would be slow wouldn't be time-critical (like resetting permissions).

Thanks for the sanity check.

  • Nate