Re: Implementing trees in a relational database

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Aug 2002 16:22:36 -0700

Here is an extract from
http://www.dbazine.com/pascal4.html

>>>> begin >>>>
Here's Hugh Darwen on the so-called "XML query algebra": "Now, my eyes light up at the word "algebra" ... Originally, I understood it to mean a set of operations that are closed over some type. That is, every operation in X Algebra operates on zero or more values of type X and returns a value of type X. Hence, set algebra, Boolean algebra, relational algebra and the algebra of numbers that gives us arithmetic. Over what is the XML Query Algebra closed? Nobody has ever given me an answer that makes sense (apart from the occasional, honest "I don't know")."

Here I'm really confused. On the one hand, there is a stream of papers about XPath, etc. On the other hand, Hugh seem to imply that those really don't make any sence.