Re: Existence of multi-DB schema synchronizator

From: Alex Petrov <master.db_at_mail.ru>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 02:24:59 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

>- Must not be ERwin nor Adept SQL

(Oh yes, ERwin 4.0 sucks, the worsest data modeling tool... CA promised further improvements and much better DBMS support in its replacement --AllFusion ERwin Data Modeler
You may find some info about AllFusion ERwin here: http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Overview.asp?ID=260&TYPE=S (They also offer evaluation version. Have you already tried it? What do you think? :))

The question is whether you want to combine powerful and convinient data modeling tool with schema checking/comparing facilities

If so, I should recommend Sybase PowerDesigner 8 or 9 IMO, the -best- data modeling tool for today. (I dont advertise or work for Sybase, its only my own opinion based on heavy experience in db design/support) (You dont find much info at_
http://www.sybase.com/products/enterprisemodeling/powerdesigner , http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1010191,00.html)

>- Offline working: must be capable to work without being connected to
>the servers (using SQL scripts as input).
>
>- Check for differences in:
>  - column names / types / nullability, etc.
>  - Primary Key / Foreign Key / CHECK constraints (very important)
>  - triggers

Some of PD advantages against ERwin 4:
* << customizable objects properties check and schema/model comparisons;
  (you may use -SQL schema files- to load two models and then check them against each other) >>
* supports some popular (eg. MySQL 3.2x, PostgreSQL 7.xx) and rare RDBMS
(ADABAS,Centura);
* provides more precise syntax for SQL dialects (Oracle 7/8, MS SQL
Server 7/2000, Sybase ASE 11/12, Informix 7/9, Access 97/2000);   << also allows creation of user-defined dictionary for RDBMS keywords and syntax;
  (if you don't like the default one, you may create yourown syntax descriptions and take/give
  them from/to other people who use PD 8/9) >>   supports syntax highlighting (built-in SQL editor);
* a very customizable, powerful and convinient UI for work with data
object properties (e.g supports font and paragraph formatting on object property pages);
* all dialog boxes are non-modal --it's very convinient so when editing
object properties
  you may access properties of any other object; also allows when modifying data item properties
  to go directly to any dependent/parent object in the object hierarchy;
* supports "Undo" and "Redo" of the almost all operations (object
movement/deletion/creation, property change);
* supports shortcuts to objects and graphical synonyms -- this allows to
reuse various objects and ensure object synchronization;
* supports custom user workspaces; also more than one logical/physical
model can be attached/open
  in the current workspace and can be accessed within the same object explorer tree
  (where ERwin requires to switch between different windows);
* convinient, hierarchycal object model, also extendable (ie. allows
custom object properties);
  package objects incapsulate not only diagrams/ebtities but also business rules,stored procs,views, etc;
* relationship links can be presented like either straight/zigzag lines
or arcs/curves;
* more precise context-sensitive and comprehensive (WinHelp and PDF
formats) help dedicated
 to logical/physical modeling concepts and PowerDesigner itself;
* ....

You may also try their 45-day evaluation version for PD9.

If the only thing you want is schema change check, then have a look at Embarcadero Change Manager
(http://www.embarcadero.com/products/changemanager/cmquickfacts.asp, http://www.embarcadero.com/products/changemanager/index.asp

http://www.embarcadero.com/products/changemanager/cmdatasheet.asp#compare)

Current Release July, 2002
DBMS Support Oracle 7.3, 8.x & 9i
Sybase 11.9.2 & 12.x
MS SQL Server 6.5, 7.0, 2000
IBM DB2 UDB 5.x, 6.x & 7.x

Client OS Support Windows 95/98
Windows NT 4
Windows 2000
Windows XP
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Embarcadero offers 15-day evaluation version. Further, Change Manager among other their utilities (like SQL debugger in DB/Artisan) can be integrated into ER/Studio data modeling tool (IMHO, one of the best modeling tools) to comprise the whole DB support suite
Embarcadero products are relatively low costing,of small size,fast,convinient,user-friendly

Hope this helps,

Alex Petrov
Sys analyst,mcdba,ocp

From: grandich_at_ardison.com (Gustavo) Subject: Existence of multi-DB schema synchronizator Date: 23 Jul 2002 15:17:03 -0700

Hello,

I need to know if there exists a tool that detects database schema (structure) differences between 2 databases and generates SQL scripts to alter 1 of them (the "target") according to the other (the "source").

Requisites:

  • Multi-DB: ability to compare databases from Informix / SQL Server / Oracle servers. Example: compare an Informix schema with an Oracle schema.