Data conversion between various schemas

From: Peter Skvarenina <peter.skvarenina_at_centrum.sk>
Date: 15 Jul 2002 11:31:19 -0700

I would like to ask, if there exist some papers with the topic of general DB conversion according to different source and target schemas.

I need to create system that converts data between two different schemas. I have fixed target schema and various source schemas, that represent some subset (not always) of information that can be expressed by the target schema.

I know I can't guarantee non-lossy conversion, i.e. when there are different subsets of attributes, non-compatible functional dependencies and so on. But has someone thought about some subset of operations that is inevitable to implement to provide tool, that can be helpful in any case that should arise during conversion process ?

                                       Regards,

                                                    Peter Skvarenina