designing a system to track the 6DOS from Kevin

From: Fred Witting <fwitting_at_bigpondANTISPAMTEXT.net.au>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 03:43:24 GMT

Theory question because it interests me and I'm not sure how I would go about doing it. I know nothing about Data Warehousing.

        Say I've an individual. Fred ;) he knows, say 10 people. Of these people Fred knows, most will know each other and some wont. Each of these people then know some of their own friends plus each other as 1st level friends. Now Fred is 2 DOS (Degrees Of Separation) from his direct friends, friends. (try drawing it out) You end up with a strange web of interconnected nodes (individuals information) not quite a n-tree I believe.

The question I have is how would one go about storing an individuals information and direct interconnectedness for efficiency.

Two tables?

tblPersonalInformation

PKPersonalInformationl
FirstName
MiddleName
LastName
etc

tblKnows (the two entries making the PK)

FKPersonalInformation
PersonalInformationNumber

And through huge computation find everyone I know up to 4DOS? Find in the tblKnows all of Freds records. For each of those SELECT all their records. For them SELECt theirs and so on... Best method?

Suggestion comments ideas references welcomed and encouraged Thank you in advance
Fred Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 05:43:24 CEST

Original text of this message