Re: Where to Store a file ?

From: Lennart Jonsson <lennart_at_kommunicera.umea.se>
Date: 26 Jun 2002 02:07:39 -0700

cava123 <cava123_at_noos.fr> wrote in message news:<3D17A9FC.A088949F_at_noos.fr>...
> Hi all,
> (Solaris 2.6/Oracle 8172 -distributed database-)
> My Pb is about BLOB, and here is a sample of what I want to do :
> Suppose we have an application written in java : name_of_author,
> Title_of_the_book, the_book (as BLOB)
> And a client (may be every where in the web) can read a book online when
> he knows the title
> My question : What is the best practice for performance.
> store the file (the_book) into the database
> or store it in a file system ?
>
> I think that the filesystem is the best idea :
> reasons :
> 1) Performance based OS (Unix) is better than access the file throw
> SQL...,
> 2) managing filesystem is easier than managing a database

Main drawback with this method is that you will have to maintain ref. integrity your self. I.e. you have to make sure that no one delete/insert/change your books on disk.

For DB2 there is a datalink manager for this kind of purpose (I havent used it, so I can not tell you very much about it). Perhaps there is something similar for Oracle?

/Lennart