Re: The Theoretical Foundations of the Relational Model

From: JRStern <JXSternChangeX2R_at_gte.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:39:11 GMT

On 25 Jun 2002 11:51:29 +0200, hidders_at_hcoss.uia.ac.be (Jan.Hidders) wrote:
> The other part comes from the fact that it
>allows you to define a unifying view over all the data in the external
>schemas that is not biased towards certain external schemas and also not
>biased towards certain internal schemas. It is this that becomes threatened
>when you start introducing ordered tables and this is why non-logical issues
>also become important for choosing the best logical data model.

How about just ordering views aka relations?

When it comes time to implement, don't I perhaps want to "bias" towards a specific schema?

Anyway, if I define different views with different sorts, I'm not sure there's any bias. Even "order on a table" can just be a view plus a sort, "select * from mytable order by akey", rather than a physical ordering.

J. Received on Tue Jun 25 2002 - 19:39:11 CEST

Original text of this message