Re: The Theoretical Foundations of the Relational Model

From: Phil Singer <psinger1_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:41:31 -0400

Jonathan Leffler wrote:

> James wrote:
>
> >>The whole exercise culminated in an attempt to place all of mathematics
> >>upon a foundation of logic (until one M. Goedel put the kybosh on that!)
>
> I think that was Kurt Godel (where that should be an o-umlaut).
>
> > Could you elaborate on this?
> > Did someone propose that all mathematics can be founded upon logic?
>
> Gingerly dipping a toe into waters wherein lie sharks...
>
> Mathematicians in general around the turn of the 19th-20th century were
> working towards that goal, yes. And Bertrand Russell (two l's I think)
> was one of the chief protagonists as I understand it.

Wonderful discussion. Back when I was an undergraduate (30 yrs ago) this area was my specialty. Between the passage of time and your excellent introduction, there is little I can add.

I would like to summarize by throwing in one of Joe Celko's famous points, that tables can be abstracted as collections of facts. Symbolic logic (and thus relational theory) provides the means of generating new facts from existing facts.

--
Phil Singer                |    psinger1_at_chartermi.net
Oracle DBA

Go Wings!!!!!!!