Re: HELP Model Simple Pricing Structure

From: BP Margolin <bpmargo_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 21:58:35 -0400

jk,

> I’m building a database and trying to model ...

Great, but is the application OLTP or DSS / OLAP?

If the latter (DSS / OLAP), then I'd suggest picking up Ralph Kimball's "The Data Warehouse Toolkit : Practical Techniques for Building Dimensional Data Warehouses". The book discusses a number of data models, including ones for the insurance industry.

On the other hand, if your application is OLTP, and if I understand your requirements, the structure you don't want to implement is in fact the correct, normalized, structure. Normalized databases are not "concise", but are instead designed for performance and data consistency.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.