Re: OOPs! James is confused again!

From: James <jraustin1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Jun 2002 06:40:04 -0700

> > An object represents a thing:
> > the concept of a Marble, Marble1, Marble2, etc.
> > An object (Marble) creates instances (M1, M2)
> > via its instantiate function.
> > An instance (M1) is an object that has a class (Marble)
> > which it determines via its classify function.
> > A class (Marble) is an object that has an instance (M1).
>
> An object represents a thing.
> An object create objects with some arbitrary function.
> An object is an object that has a object which it determines via some other
> abitrary function.
> An object is an object that has an object.
>
> Oh, yeah! That's useful!!!

I submit that substituting the word "object" for "class" and "instance" results in sentences that are not equivalent to the original. While classes and instances are objects, the word object does not encode the implied relationship to other objects that class and instance do.

I submit a parallel example, demonstrating the loss of information: Note: Assume John is a hermaphrodite.

A person(John) can have children (Mary, Sue).
A child (Mary) is a person that has a parent(John).
A parent(John) is a person that has a child (Mary).

A person(John) can have persons (Mary, Sue).
A person(Mary) is a person that has a person (John). A person(John) is a person that has a person (Mary).

I may be occassionally confused but "my" object model isn't. Can you confuse "my" object model? Received on Fri Jun 14 2002 - 15:40:04 CEST

Original text of this message