Re: Expressibility question

From: John Fiskio-Lasseter <johnfl_at_cs.uoregon.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:05:37 -0700

In article <3d08e78d$1_at_news.uia.ac.be>, Jan.Hidders <hidders_at_hcoss.uia.ac.be> wrote:

> Hope this helped,

It did indeed. Thank you. I grabbed our library's copy of the Abiteboul et al book, and read through the hunk you suggested, plus a few other sections. That and a conversation with one of our facutly who who works in circuit complexity put a number of things together. It's a very nice book, too. My area is static analysis and verification, but I may have to grab a copy of this for my own bookshelf. I didn't realize how much work on descriptive complexity had been done wthin the DB community -- one of those disadvantages to being in a (relatively) small department that specalizes in only a few areas of research.

I admit to being a little disappointed that you found an RA+ expression for my bit-vector equation :-) I thought I had an example of something common and useful that you can express with a FP operator but not with transitive closure alone. Oh well. Do you happen to know of a nice example of this off the top of your head?

Thanks again,
-- John Received on Fri Jun 14 2002 - 07:05:37 CEST

Original text of this message