Re: Object equals Relation

From: JRStern <JXSternChangeX2R_at_gte.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:13:36 GMT

On 12 Jun 2002 13:33:19 -0700, jraustin1_at_hotmail.com (James) wrote:
>> > What does an OODB-model lack
>> > that prevents it from being as expressive as a RDB-model?
>>
>> Relations.
>
>I think I now understand, and agree, the fundamental basis of
>databases is the 'fundamental concept' described by a relation.
>According to relational terminology: a relation is a set of related
>things.

I don't know if "relation" is supposed to mean the semantic function that groups fields, or a particular set of values that fulfills the function. That is, I forget if it's supposed to mean a table or a row.

But the term "object" is used loosely to mean class or instance, so "object" doesn't map exactly to anything.

IOW: table == class
row == instance

The fun comes when you try to define relations (?) between tables and implement them in OOP. The real fun comes when you see people "designing" OOP systems with no idea how they would be done in relational.

Joshua Stern Received on Fri Jun 14 2002 - 01:13:36 CEST

Original text of this message