Re: (OT)Dynamic inheritance (was: Object support in the relational model??)

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br>
Date: 13 Jun 2002 06:55:24 -0700

Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote in message news:<ae8ffh$cm4$2_at_sp15at20.hursley.ibm.com>...
> > One thing I don't understand: why not leave it as a data
> sublanguage,
> > and leave computation to better-stabilished languages?
>
> OO Prescription 3: Computational Completeness

        Thanks for reminding me of that. But resource to authority never went well with me, you see, I'm Baptist.

        Unfortunately I don't have TTM in hand now, and AFAIR this was the one part in it that didn't convince me. I can't see why one couldn't implement D in Scheme or some other Lisp dialect, for example -- or even Java, C# or some other C derivative -- and have users defining functions in it. I haven't checked, but I think this is the approach taken by Alphora in Dataphor.

--
 _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra        +41 (21) 216 15 93