Relations contain Objects

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 01:18:59 -0400

Silly, you already know that objects equals domains.

"James" <jraustin1_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:a6e74506.0206121233.58c1c700_at_posting.google.com...
> > > What does an OODB-model lack
> > > that prevents it from being as expressive as a RDB-model?
> >
> > Relations.
>
> I think I now understand, and agree, the fundamental basis of
> databases is the 'fundamental concept' described by a relation.
> According to relational terminology: a relation is a set of related
> things.

Unfortunately, that does not resemble a relational definition of the term. Specifically, a relation has a header consisting of a set of N named, typed attributes and a body consisting of a set of N-dimensional tuples with a value corresponding to each of the named, typed attributes. They are the same as mathematical relations.

Each of the values in every tuple is an object in an OO sense.

One can think of a relation as a set of truth statements about N objects of arbitrary complexity.

<irrelevant crap snipped> Received on Thu Jun 13 2002 - 07:18:59 CEST

Original text of this message