Re: Object support in the relational model??

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br>
Date: 11 Jun 2002 01:03:51 -0700

"Carl Rosenberger" <carl_at_db4o.com> wrote in message news:<acthbt$3q4$06$1_at_news.t-online.com>...

> A more useful answer:
> Maybe we are still missing the right approach in our
> object-oriented programming languages, as we know them
> today. Indeed it is very difficult to come up with a
> design, that lasts to be reused with multiple different
> applications.
>
> Maybe inheritance is the wrong approach and we need a
> more loosely coupled system of dynamic delegates.
> (Tables and relations? :-) )

        Carl, after so much time you are still mixing different levels as almost everyone in the OO world.

        The point is that OO is programming, is physical implementation of an algorithm. OTOH, the relational model is a logical model. If you want to implement the relational model with an OO language, go ahead; if you want to create OO programs that use relational data, your call.  But don't try to conspurcate the relational model with OO fuzzyness of thought and implementation details. Keep the physical and logical levels separate, by all means.

--
 _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra        +41 (21) 216 15 93