Re: Newbie DBase architecture questions

From: James <jraustin1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 Jun 2002 16:24:46 -0700

> > > Products in a store are often belong to more than one category
> > > -- it means that the node can have more than one parent.
> >
> > I still don't understand, below is a tree where the same product is in
> > 3 different departments.
> >
> Now you change the cost for MyStoreFldr->Houseware1->Lighting1->LavaLamp1.
> What happens with the others?
> What if the whole Lighting section is in 2 different departments?

Couldn't it be handled as shown below where: -> is a reference to the original
() is the qty

 MyStoreFldr
   Houseware1

     ->Lighting1
       ->LavaLamp1(X)
   Hardware1
     DeptX1
       DeptX2
         Lighting2
           ->LavaLamp1(Y)
   Entertainment1
     DeptX1
       DeptX2
         DeptX3
           ->Lighting1
             ->LavaLamp1(Z)

 LampsFolder
   LavaLamp1
   LavaLamp2
   LavaLamp3

 DeptsFolder
   Lighting1
   Lighting2
   Lighting3

I have implemented similar concepts in rdb, but it required generic modelling (everything in 4 or 5 tables) which limited full use of SQL, required recursive type programming, impacted performance significantly and won't necessary recommend it as a viable solution. Received on Mon Jun 03 2002 - 01:24:46 CEST

Original text of this message