Re: Who yields - client or developer? Your opinion

From: Graham Bellamy <dontwriteme_at_ask.first.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 18:55:19 +1000

> I'm not sure I followed all this, but I think If you create
> a table with the units in one field and the expression in a
> second field.
> Units QtyFormula
> L/Sq.m/mm [Area] * [Rate] * [Thickness]
> L/Sq/m [Area] * [Rate]
> kg/Sq.m/mm [Area] * [Rate] * [Thickness]
> kg/Sq.m [Area] * [Rate]
> Sq.m/L [Area] / [Rate]
> Sq.m/kg [Area] / [Rate]
>
> then you could Join that to your table/query on the units
> field and calculate the QtyFormula with something like this:
>
> QtyRate: Eval(Replace(Replace(Replace(QtyFormula, "[Area]",
> [Area]), "[Rate]", [Rate]), "[Thickness]", [Thickness]))
>
> Setting up to use a Replace function is different in
> different version of Access. For A97 and earlier, you have
> to write your own, in A2K you have to write a UDF that just
> calls the built in Replace function and in AXP you can just
> use the built in Replace function.
>
> --
> Marsh

Ok, that sounds like it could be a solution. Thanks for the tip. I am developing on Ac97, however the final product will be run on Ac2000, so I'll have to make my own function. I can set to doing this, but to save reinventing the wheel, if anyone out there has such a function already written, and is willing to share, could they point me in the right direction. If it's possible to do this, it would be great to have on which accepts multiple 'Find/ReplaceWith' pairs, so as to not need to repeat the function multiple times.

Many thanks,
Graham Received on Sun Jun 02 2002 - 10:55:19 CEST

Original text of this message