Re: relational databases

From: Ambalika <ambalikavikash_at_yahoo.co.in>
Date: 27 May 2002 23:21:08 -0700

Hi!
Are you aware of what databases are? Well let me try and explain-even though it is not possible to cover the topic in a mail. RDBMS is a database where we can break a bigger table into smaller ones (for ease of maintainance, low requirement of space, performance efficiency etc.) and create relations between the tables that are maintained by the RDBMS.
For eg. lets say there's an emp table with emp details, salary, their performance et al. There will be data redundancy bcoz of lot of repetitions. now in a Relational database, we break it into let's say 2 tables-one maintaining details, the other one sal and performance. There is one field that connects the 2-let's say emp-id. Now if there's a change in address, only one table is updated which is smaller than that in a non relational db. Now if a reprt is reqd wherein the manager wants to check on the performance, then we generate it from the sal table, and his name is pulled out from the other table.
I am not sure if you've got the idea. I may be ambiguous at times. Post a msg in that case.

Regards