temporary databases

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 May 2002 19:54:16 -0700

After spending some time at

http://dimlab.usc.edu/cs599-2000/

I don't understand the elementary: what is the subject of temporal databases? Suppose we have a history table. Are there any queries that can't be expressed in standard SQL?

Isn't interval just defined by a couple of trivial predicates t1<time and time<t2? What is the purpose of introducing interval datatype if it's not closed under union operator?

According to Date/McGoveran a database is a repository of valid facts. Those facts are valid in *absolute* sence. We either say "Smith is teaching CS215 class" or say it more presizely "Smith was teaching CS215 class startind at 9am 10-Dec-1990 and ended at 9am 10-Mar-1991". If the second date is open-ended, it's just incomplete information. Wouldn't putting a null better than inventing some "transaction time"?

Snodgrass p299: "We learn on Jan 26 that Exa bought the flat not on Jan 10 as initially thought, not on Jan3 as later corrected, but on Jan 5" -- only abstraction-challenged person can consider paragraph like that seriously. Just fix the data, not the model!

Given a table of intervals answering a query what intervals cover that point is not trivial. Is this the only issue we could reduce temporal databases subject to?