How to search mysql?

From: Bill Dandreta <wjdandreta_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 14:30:57 GMT

We have a mysql parts database and it is indexed by manufacturers part number. We want to be able to search it either by using the 1st few characters of the number and return numbers that begin with these characters or by matching a sequence of characters within the number.

Example 1:

part number = ans234756

search for ans23 and retrieve all part numbers that begin with ans23.

Example 2:

part number = ans234756

seacrh for s234 and retrieve all part numbers that contain s234.

Does anyone know how to do these searches quickly? Any help will be appreciated.

Bill Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 09:30:57 CDT