Re: normalisation

From: Bob Hairgrove <rhairgroveNoSpam_at_Pleasebigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 15:02:42 GMT

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 14:47:57 GMT, "Chris" <c_at_coelle.net> wrote:

>You got me there......but I just don't know if I am doing it right.
>Unfournatly no one really helps you at uni and all my mates have the same
>problems.....
>It's very hard when you never have done it before

Well, we all have to learn ... and experience is often the best teacher. As to normalization rules, there is often a choice as to how to set things up. Often it is even necessary to de-normalize a design for the sake of performance. However, one should always try to normalize as thoroughly as possible, then only de-normalize when performance dictates.

I suggest reading "SQL for Smarties" by Joe Celko; also, John Viescas has written "SQL Queries for Mere Mortals" which gives a good introduction to normalization. For more in-depth coverage, try Chris Date's "An Introduction to Database Systems".

Having second thoughts about the rental rate, you will need to store this information because it is an unchangeable part of the contract between the client and the rental company, even if it is dependent on several other factors.

If you remove car_type and amount_due from the table, you should be OK. Good luck.

Bob Hairgrove
rhairgroveNoSpam_at_Pleasebigfoot.com Received on Sat Apr 27 2002 - 17:02:42 CEST

Original text of this message