DBMS failure statistics

From: Matthew Hurd <matt_at_analytical-engine.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:35:40 +1000

Like Janos Koppany mentions in a few subject below this (comp.databases), I would like to gather some statistics on database failures.

However, not just highly available systems, but also standalone, fault tolerant, embedded, distributed, in-memory etc. Not sure it exists. I am especially interested in Sybase, Oracle, MS SQLServer, DB2, PostgreSQL and SAP/DB statistics. Also interested in the platforms, hardware and OS, the dbs are running on.

In the interest of vendor anonymity I would be happy to see stats for database(s) without the names attached. I am interested in the general state of standalone versus clusters, etc. Also, if you prefer your information to be anonymous or non-public please email me at matt_at_analytical-engine.com

If you have some personal statistics, say from work, I would love an email. But I suspect such stats will come from people with a bad experience or wishing to promote their own product.

I have recently been plagued with some db crashes in a clustered environment and I want to get some objective data on down time. Am considering some different and novel approaches.

Hope some of you can help.

Regards,

matt.
-in search of a true five nines Received on Fri Apr 12 2002 - 12:35:40 CEST

Original text of this message