Re: Data Retention

From: JRStern <JXSternChangeX2R_at_gte.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:08:29 GMT

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:24:28 -0600, "Dave" <Dave_at_mail.com> wrote:
>Anyone struggling with a data retention plan? I looking for resources on
>how to start planning.

An underappreciated issue. I have no pointers, just sympathy.

I usually try to establish an archive database for stuff more than X years old, and keep it online, just in case. When it gets more than Y years old, you can stuff it on a CD just in case, but take it offline.

Usually there is some overlap between current and archive data, especially when you have some business transactions in the data that span long periods of time. It's nearly impossible to draw clear lines between current and obsolete, so the trick is not to try. Hey, storage is cheap.

Joshua Stern
JRStern_at_gte.net Received on Tue Mar 12 2002 - 23:08:29 CET

Original text of this message