Re: Best methodology for database software development

From: Paul Taylor <ptaylor.roseneath_at_btopenworld.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 23:57:56 +0000 (UTC)

> In message <f2e963ee.0202200752.580d1d0c_at_posting.google.com>, Ian
> <trundlebus1_at_hotmail.com> writes
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >I have read on numerous occasions that the best methodologies to use
> >when designing a system that incorporates a database are SSADM or
> >DSDM.
Having worked on projects which used SSADM and others which used DSDM, I would say it's a definite horses for courses decision. In my experience, SSADM is pretty good if the requirements are completely known prior to development beginning, and stable over the timespan development will require. DSDM, on the other hand, is a bit more "quick and dirty", and much better at coping with incomplete or volatile requirements. SSADM is pretty monolithic, and will tend to follow a well defined path from known requirements to a complete system "in one go", while DSDM encourages (one might almost say mandates) an iterative and incremental approach where usable functionality is delivered, in the order of user-specified priority, early and often.

Of course either is only as good as the people, procedures and systems which use and underpin them... Received on Wed Feb 27 2002 - 00:57:56 CET

Original text of this message