Entity relationship and tables help please?

From: (wrong string) ® <sorry_at_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:01:45 -0000

Hi there - if anyone has a few spare minutes I could really do with some help please.

I'm a student and have been given an exercise using MS Access to design a simple database for a fictional dating agency. This database is not concerned with accounts or administration purely the matching of clients and meeting management.

I have racked my brains to come up with an entity relationship diagram but cannot get past the stage of even selecting the entity tables to use. I simply cannot decide whether the males and female should be in seperate tables with the intersecting table being interestes/hobbies and/or areas which they are from - or am I completely barking up the wrong tree here?

Assuming it's purely a hetrosexual database I'd be grateful for any expert opinions as to what you think the tables should be. We are told between 3 and 5 tables will do this.

To quote a small section from the question:-

"She (the dating agency owner) feels that if the client data is stored on a database then it would enable her to produce a short list of potential matches and she could then use her experience to determine which would be the best matches. A considerable amount of personal data is held about clients and it is becoming increasingly difficult for her to remember everyone. It may also make it easier for her to keep track of which clients have met and when. This will help her keep track of active clients and identify those she has not seen for some time and help her follow up on those inactive clients.
Clients pay a joining fee, an annual subscription, and also a small fee for each meeting that is arranged"

Once I have got my head around which way to go I am quite competant at building the database.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas to help please?

Thanks in advance.

Wacjac

(apologies for the cross-posting - just I need to get a good concensus of opinion here) Received on Mon Feb 25 2002 - 18:01:45 CET

Original text of this message