Re: relational vs object

From: akmal _at_ city <akmal_at_soi.city.ac.uk.nospam>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:54:18 +0000

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Angus Monro wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> this surely must be a FAQ, but I don't know where the FAQ list is...
>
> What are the pros & cons between relational & object databases?
>
> TIA.
>
> Angus Monro
>
> Principal Software Engineer
> Ingennia Systems
> Melbourne, Australia.

There is a nice (but somewhat old) paper:

http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/misc.dir/RDBMS_vs_ODBMS.zip

by Steve McHenry.

The postscript does have problems on some viewers, so email me and I can send you a pdf version if you wish.

Some other coverage of OODBs you can find in a couple of books I have helped put together:

Java and Databases - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1903996155/
Succeed with OODBs - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471383848/
OODBs in Practice  - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/013899725X/

You can also find additional resources and pointers to benchmarks here:

http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/html.dir/resources.html http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/html.dir/benchmarks.html

VR

akmal chaudhri
IBM developerWorks Received on Fri Feb 15 2002 - 08:54:18 CET

Original text of this message