Re: C.J. Date class "Relational Remodeled"

From: S Perryman <q_at_deja.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:18:39 -0000

"JRStern" <JRStern_at_gte.net> wrote in message news:3c616bee.8664288_at_news.gte.net...

>Well, for ten years we've been watching as our good friend C.J.
>slooooowly tried to adopt himself to any database idea not purely and
>simply relational. The early years were not pretty. Even his recent
>Manifesto is ambivalent, IMHO. Perhaps what we have with the RVA is,
>even in the 2000 year book, not quite ready for prime time?

>Hmm. Chapter 25, object/relational, sez "first great blunder" is
>saying the relvar=class, as opposed to domain=class. Sorry, C.J., I
>can't agree to that. Especially if you then go on to sell me RVAs,
>in place. And, what does this chapter say is the "second great
>blunder"? Mixing pointers and relations. Oh, my. Do I really want to
>take a class from this guy?

:-)

>That's kind of why I started this thread. And, you may have prodded
>me to an answer, in the negative.

I can't be that unkind to him.
I have the 3rd Manifesto book, and sometimes it looks like you are reading the OO rantings of someone who 3 million yrs ago was known as Homo Topmind. :-)

IMHO he has some good ideas, and together with the contribution he has made to db systems, is worthy of at least some consideration.

IMHO the clincher for him would actually be to go away and implement the prog lang/system he describes in his book. Then we can compare/ contrast with the current state of things OO.

Regards,
Steven Perryman Received on Fri Feb 08 2002 - 12:18:39 CET

Original text of this message