Re: Artificial Primary keys

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 4 Feb 2002 07:53:26 -0800

>> I'm told that there is a difference in the way that fingerprint
comparisons are made in the US and the UK. I'm told that in the US there is a coding system used to represent fingerprints, a sort of hash function, and that the courts accept that there is a match when two sets of prints hash to the same value. <<

It is not a hashing system. The U.S. used the Henry-Galt Classification system and other parts of the world use different one of several classification systems. Sorry, but it has been too long since I worked at a crime lab to remember the names of the classification systems. They start with the overall shape (whorl, loop, tent, arch and misc.) and then count lines. NIST (nee The National Bureau of Standards) has a standard for machine scanning and recongnition now.

But we are getting into serious thread drift ... Received on Mon Feb 04 2002 - 16:53:26 CET

Original text of this message