Re: Questions about multiuser locking in database design

From: Walt <foo_at_on.spammers>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:51:09 -0700

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:58:43 -0500, Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com> wrote:

>To my way of thinking you should have three I/O operations:
>
> 1. Read
> Read the image
> 2. Read for update
> Test and Set a lock flag for the image
> If the image wasn't locked read it
> else return an image in use error
> 3. Write
> Write the image
> Reset the lock flag if it is set

What I was asking about was the *mechanism* for locking. File locks? OS semaphores? Something else?

I'd like to know what works best, so I can use that as the underlying traffic cop.

I VERY much appreciate you taking the time to the answer!

walt Received on Wed Jan 30 2002 - 15:51:09 CET

Original text of this message