Re: Polygon data modelling question

From: Qingqing <zhouqingqing_at_excite.com>
Date: 20 Jan 2002 09:35:12 -0800

Andreas Bauer <baueran_at_in.tum.de> wrote in message news:<74w28.8060$OO5.1389707291_at_news.tli.de>...
> With great pleasure I have been following this thread. Very
> interesting subject indeed.
>
> While I see the limitations of R-Trees clearly now (yes, I've read
> Guttman's paper as well), I'd be interested if anyone on the list has
> already made some experience with UB-Trees. When would you prefer them,
> compared to R-Trees for example?
>
> Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Andi.

Hi Andi, according to my knowledge, there is a forest about the multi-dimensional indexing in database. Forest here means a lot tree based methods. R tree is just the beginning. In 1997, Katayama gave the SR tree indexing. According to my test, it does outperformed R tree in most cases. So if you want to compare UB-tree ( I have no idea of this) with some-other-tree, at least you should choose SR tree. There may better tree based indexing than SR tree, just go to www.researchindex.com to see who cites Katayama's paper and find out the better trees.

regards,

Qingqing Received on Sun Jan 20 2002 - 18:35:12 CET

Original text of this message