Re: What are the limits to the usefulness of normalization?

From: Jan Emil Larsen <jel_at_g-it.dk>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 13:18:01 +0100

> > > Oh dear, Dwaun!
> > Translation: You are a close significant of mine.
> >
> > > I apologize for not following this newsgroup as much as I would like.
I see
> > > that all of the previous answers you received to your question were
not only
> > > incorrect but dangerously incorrect.
> > Translation: I look damn good in the mirror and you are lucky to have
> > my presense.
> >
> > > Sadly, vendors have (so far) failed to provide adequate independence
between
> > > the logical model and physical layout of the data, and few
practitioners
> > > know or can appreciate the distinction between the conceptual and
logical
> > > levels of discourse. Subsequently, both vendors and practitioners
frequently
> > > blame normalization for their own failings.
> > Translation: I could do it better if I wanted to but it is easier to
> > look down my nose and also you and others are dumb.
> >
> > > I would direct you to "C. J. Date, _Relational Database Writings
1991-1994_,
> > > I would also direct you to Fabian Pascal's latest book _Practical
Issues in
> > Translation: Here are some books that I wrote for dummies like you
> > because there is no way you understood what the heck I just explained
> > to you.
> >
> > All kidding aside, Bob's tirade was surgically correct with respect to
> > rdbs. See www.xdb1.com/Normalization.asp for equivalent from an oodb's
> > point-of-view.
>
> Translation: I am incapable of posting to this forum without flacking my
product.

I second that!, and may add: continuously answering way off topic (or ignorant regarding normalization).
I'm still waiting for an answer to this question in another thread: what do you (James) mean by normalization in a OODB? If not more than given by link, that's not much ... Received on Sun Jan 06 2002 - 13:18:01 CET

Original text of this message