Re: Object Oriented Wrapper classes to SQL statements

From: akmal _at_ city <akmal_at_soi.city.ac.uk.nospam>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:45:13 +0000

On 11 Dec 2001, Rachel wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> In our project, we allow the user to create queries on a database.
> The user is not assumed to know SQL, and has an interface that
> presents column names and lets him specify conditions.
> Currently, we work with a single table, but may extend it to multiple
> tables in the future.
>
> My question is:
> Is it possible, and is it wise, to write a set of C++ classes to
> encapsulate the structure of an SQL statement? That is, can you create
> a set of objects to model an SQL statement?
> On one hand, I would like to keep this model as general as possible
> (i.e parallels to SQL general syntax). On the other hand, if this may
> turn to be extrmemely complicated, I can use the assumption of a
> single table.
>
> If any of you know of existing packages (open source or commercial)
> that have such a model - please let me know.
>
> Thanks!

I remember a book "Building Scalable Database Systems" by Heinckiens that discusses wrappers. He also has examples in C++. Might be worth looking into.

akmal

--
[ OODB Resources      - http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/html.dir/home.html  ]
[ XML Data Management - Addison-Wesley, to be published in 2002              ]