Re: Throughput and storage requirements questions for modern vs old database processing apps

From: Anthony W. Youngman <thewolery_at_nospam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 21:58:17 +0000

In article <3bffa6cb.8398576_at_news.tcd.ie>, Paul Linehan <linehanp_at_tcd.ie> writes
>Then you could look at the Open Source databases MySQL (not free if
>you're using it in a commercial environment - but probably the best
>supported free DB, but it doesn't support transactions and stuff),
>Postgres (Unix only), SAP or my own *_PERSONAL FAVOURITE_* Firebird
>from www.ibphoenix.com (This was previously Interbase (still
>available) from Borland), but the Firebird distro is the true Open
>Source version - Borland made a complete balls of releasing Interbase
>as opensource and now the project is being taken on by the ibphoenix
>group.

What about the MultiValue databases? D3, jBASE, UniVerse or Unidata, etc (there's also the Free version, MaVerick, coming along ...).

Okay, they're not RDBMSs, but can be set up as SQL servers. They run on everything from pcs to high end minis, they scale to huge amounts of data, and they are FAST! They are also relatively cheap.

We run UniVerse (now owned by IBM). It comes as a complete package, with database engine, development tools, programming language, pretty near everything you need. Don't restrict yourself to looking at just SQL. It's easy to learn, easy to use, easy to program ... the only study I know of concluded that multivalue costs roughly half of what SQL does, and if a company knows what it's got and isn't seduced by buzzwords and consultants, they value it very highly.

Cheers,
Wol

Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in. "Let
me through. I'm a nosey person.", she said, employing both elbows.
Maskerade : (c) 1995 Terry Pratchett