Re: In-line views

From: James Chapman <Jim.Chapman_at_nospam.elsegundoca.ncr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:48:16 -0800

"Russ" <rgoring_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:9d329c10.0112071211.63511c46_at_posting.google.com...
> I've recently noticed that the in-line view SQL syntax used by Oracle
> does not work in Sybase. Are in-line views an SQL extension only
> supported by Oracle, or have other DBMSs failed to implement the SQL
> standard?

As Joe Celko pointed out, an "inline view" is known as a derived table in the SQL standard. However,
it is not a feature of the Core SQL (SQL-99) or Entry Level (SQL-92). Thus, an implementation
need not support this feature in order to claim a minimal level of conformance to the standard. Received on Mon Dec 10 2001 - 21:48:16 CET

Original text of this message