Re: What makes an OODBMS different from an RDBMS?

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 22:40:23 GMT

> Although it is an apple-to-orange comparison, an oodb, like XDb, is
> self-describing. Each object has the capability of acting as a
> template for its instances, and instances have the capability of
> acting as templates for their instances and so on.

I expected an apples-to-oranges comparison.

So, is the class hierarchy or object model itself stored in the oodb? If so, does it use a representation such that, a reader of the oodb with full knowledge of Xdb, but no knowledge of the application's objects be able to bootstrap
its own way to making full use of the objects stored in the oodb?

--
Regards,
    David Cressey