Re: Throughput and storage requirements questions for modern vs old database processing apps

From: John Becich <jbecich_at_nospam.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 15:47:08 GMT

David,
Thanks for the extensive response. You speak from experience, and I really appreciate that. Please allow me to develop a bit on your theories.

  1. Mission creep. There are two possible remedies?
  2. Supply the necessary indexes.
  3. Replace the software entirely with a more sophisticated application.

Do these sound reasonable?

Of course, during the process of selecting a replacement application, one must be careful to see that it possesses "the necessary indexes."

To replace hardware here would be inappropriate, because it only speeds up a flawed design.

B. Overpopulation. There are two possible remedies.

  1. Replace the hardware with substantially faster hardware. Not ideal, but this is a "tit for tat" strategy.
  2. Replace the software entirely with a more sophisticated application. The theory here is that what was big for the old application is small for the replacement application.

Needless to say, "re-indexing" doesn't solve our problems any more...just in case you're wondering.

What do you think of my remedies? Received on Sat Nov 24 2001 - 16:47:08 CET

Original text of this message