Re: What makes an OODBMS different from an RDBMS?

From: James <jraustin1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Nov 2001 08:41:05 -0800

> > OK, I know this is a basic question.
> > But can anyone enlighten me?

In addition to the points made by Carl...

I am suggesting that in an ideal OODB, there exists a basic object. When this object is put together with other instances of the basic object, one should be able to represent any imaginable data.

In a relational database, the fundamental unit of storage might be the table, possibly a table with one row and one field.

A oodb represents data starting at a very granular level, the object, which gives it flexibililty especially with complex/variable data structures.

A rdb represents data starting at a higher level, the table, which gives it efficiency with data that is mostly uniform.

I believe oodbs, such as XDb, will eventually provide similar querying abilities and perform them in less time. (http://www.xdb1.com/Basics/Query.asp)

> (2) Mass Updates

An oodb, such as XDb, will provide mass updates in the near future and perform them in less time. Received on Fri Nov 23 2001 - 17:41:05 CET

Original text of this message