Re: Clustered Hash Index?

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:37:36 GMT

Oracle RDBMS has a feature called "hash clusters" You can do a search for this term with any search engine, and get dozens of useful web pages.

Oracle Rdb (known as DEC Rdb or Rdb/VMS or VAX/VMS Rdb until 1994) has a feature called "hash indexes".
A search on "hash indexes Oracle Rdb" gives you the relevant web pages.

A search on "hash indexes" will show several other products that also have hash indexes, and some theory papers about hash indexes in general.

"hash clusters" and "hash indexes" have some points in common. Both use a hash function at insert time, and the same hash function at retrieval time. The hash function translates a key value into an address of some kind in the storage space managed by the product. Both "hash clusters" and "hash indexes" have the benefit of speeding up searches for exact values, but the drawback of being worthless or even harmful for the performance of certain kinds of range retrievals.

I realize this is only an approximation to what you were asking for, but I hope it helps.

--
Regards,
    David Cressey