Re: parent/child relationship in the same table.

From: <D_at_B.A>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 02:10:37 GMT

In article <6768b874.0111171957.1445da9b_at_posting.google.com>, Jason Diamond says...

>> Not quite. A relational database has a concept of "pipelining": it could answer
>> the query above in a single pass through the table. Object folks thinking is
>> frozen in terms of nested loops that user has to write.
>
>Any pointers on pipelining?

Well, pipelining is about answeing query in a single scan of the table. But before we are getting into this lets return to your question. Is it just plain hierarchy that is surfacing once in a while in this thread? For hierarchy you have plenty of solutions:

  1. Recursive SQL (SQL 99 standard, implemented in DB2)
  2. Oracle "connect by"
  3. Incremental evaluation of transitive closure.