ISO Standards (was Re: Simple question on data design...)

From: Jeff Zucker <jeff_at_vpservices.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 15:50:21 -0800

--CELKO-- wrote:

> Actually, the ISO Standard sex codes are
> 0 = unknown
> 1 = male
> 2 = female
> 9 = lawful persons (corporations, governmental organizations, etc.)

My transgendered friends aren't going to like that one, although it's nice to know that 3 through 8 are available :-).

But as long as you've brought it up, could you mention a few more ISO standards that are relevant here. Obviously there are things like bibliographic codes for specialized domains of study but what about the more general ones? One can search by topic at

  http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/Standards_Search.StandardsQueryForm

and things like dates, country codes, and language codes are obvious, but I'd never seen the gender codes. I do wander through the list of standards every now and then but it would be helpful to have a list of ones like date, gender, and language that are fairly generally applicable to database design.

--
Jeff