Re: Too add a new table or not

From: Radu Lascae <r.nospam.lascae_at_wanadoo.nl>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 07:06:49 GMT

Your boss is correct:-) There is nothing in relational theory that limits the number of fields in a table.

There are however some structures where the _relevance_ of some attributes depends on the value of a particular attribute. For example, in a table of 'Persons', a person of type='Teacher' may have a relevant attribute called 'salary', whereas salary will not be relevant for another one of type='Pupil'. For this type of person, 'grade' is relevant.

Some advocate creating different tables to hold the attributes 'salary' and 'grade', having a 1-1 relationship with the table Persons. The technique is called "subtyping" and is advocated mostly by Access developers. I am against it because 1-1 is not normalization, it's just the technical inability to use CHECK constraints in a particular RDBMS.

Conclusion: your boss is correct:-)

Radu