Cryptography and database

From: Luca <ottovolante_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:46:08 +0200

Hi!
I need to keep data as secure as possible on a database. I can manage apllicative security using password but I need also security in case of theft.
Files containing data should be stored with a Cryptography alghoritm.

Two possibilities:
1-encrypted filesystem (efs)
2-use a database that use cryptography internally.

In the first case efs work transparently ro application but decrypt key is stored on the system and a skill boy can in theory decrypt files In the second case alghoritm may be coded into database server software and a bit difficult to discover

What's your opinion, suggest?

Thanks in advance.

--
Luca Vertua